From ice-creams to cakes, strawberries just enhance the flavours wherever they go. And a strawberry sheet cake is such a relishment that cake lovers swear by it. If you also want to make it a part of your next cheat day or a special occasion or the best time- on any day (why not treat yourself on any day?), check out this recipe and take a strawberry sheet cake break. Also, when scorching summer heats hamper us, strawberries are just a lovely and soothing pick for the soul.
Okay, before we move further, I have a question for you. Have you wondered how a sheet cake stands apart from a regular cake? Guess, guess…all right, I’ll spill the beans for you. As a matter of fact, a sheet cake just differs in size from a regular cake. Also referred to as slab cake, a sheet cake is baked in a rectangular or flat baking tin. Much contrasting to the regular cakes, which come with several layers, sheet cakes come with just one layer.
Why Are Dessert Lovers Going Crazy Over Strawberry Sheet Cake?
Cakes really enlighten the mood of our soul. The creaminess and softness of strawberry sheet cake is really a treat for the eyes and taste buds as well. As simple as it feels, strawberries take the taste level to another level. It’s such a classic flavour that it shares a friendly bond with people of all ages.
Yes, also, our vegetarian friends who have a sweet tooth need not fret over the fact that this recipe demands eggs. You can ditch eggs with yogurt…..so just scroll a little to get started with the recipe.
Ingredients Needed For Strawberry Sheet Cake
To Prepare Cake
- Strawberries (Fresh)- 500 gms
- Unsalted Butter- ½ Cup (At room temperature)
- Icing Sugar- 1 ⅔ Cups
- Oil- ¾ Cup
- Eggs- 2 to 3 OR Yogurt- ¼ Cup (Vegetarian gang got saved there by yogurt!)
- Salt- Just a pinch would do
- All-Purpose Flour- 2 Cups
- Baking Powder- ½ tsp
- Baking Soda- ½ tsp
- Buttermilk- 1 Cup
- Gelatin- 1 tsp
To Prepare Frosting
- Strawberries Puree- 2 tbsp
- Icing Sugar- 3 Cups
- Vanilla Essence- 1 tsp
- Strawberries (Freezed and dried)- ½ Cup
- Cream Cheese- 1 Cup
- Butter- ½ Cup
- Instant Gelatin (Strawberry Flavoured)- 2-3 tsp
To Prepare For Garnishing
- Strawberries (Fresh)- As required
Procedure For Making Strawberry Sheet Cake
- Let’s start with preparing the cake batter, but first things first, set the oven for preheating at 325 degrees.
- Now wash the strawberries. Put the hulled strawberries in a food processor or blender to make puree which will be used to make the jello for the strawberry sheet cake. If you have a hand blender, that’ll work too, but be cautious of decorating your clothes with the puree. Just joking!
- Put the unsalted butter into a large bowl. The butter must be at room temperature. Add icing sugar, eggs (one by one), and gelatin to the bowl and beat the ingredients well. Keep adding the buttermilk to the mixture gradually as you beat it.
NOTE: Vegetarian friends can opt for yogurt in place of eggs, but then you just need to shrink the amount of buttermilk or completely take it out of the picture. If you are keeping the buttermilk, be certain to increase the sugar a little to balance the sourness.
Also, while working with yogurt, you first need to put aside yogurt and baking soda for about 10 minutes to let them react.
- Now add the strawberry puree to the mixture and beat it again. Combine the puree well because it’s the queen ingredient of this recipe.
- Sieve the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a separate bowl. If you wish to cut down the heft of gathering all the ingredients, then you can opt for a cake premix. Nonetheless, self-cooked dishes have their own taste!
- Now incorporate the sieved dry ingredients gradually into the wet ingredients and enfold the batter using the cut and fold technique. Make sure no lumps are left in the batter.
Time To Bake The Strawberry Sheet Cake
- Take a rectangular or flat baking tray or baking tin (2-3 inches deeper), and brush it up with a little oil. Whenever you bake a cake, sprinkling the baking tray or baking tin with a little all-purpose flour doesn’t cause any harm. It’ll make sure that the cake you baked with so much effort comes out from the baking tray effortlessly.
- Pour the cake batter into the oil-greased tray or tin and bake it for about 35 to 45 minutes between 180 to 350 degrees.
Can’t have patience until the strawberry sheet cake gets ready? Well then, let’s prepare the frosting. It will certainly make it easy to wait.
Procedure To Make Frosting
Well, making cake frosting is a piece of cake. Oh sorry! I forgot it’s already been biting a bullet kind of task for you to wait to grab a bite of this strawberry sheet cake. My apologies.
- Take a large bowl and beat the cream cheese and unsalted butter until it gets together well to form stiff peaks. Here you need to pay attention that no lumps remain left.
- Add vanilla essence and beat the mixture again.
- Now, gradually add icing sugar to the batch and beat it with the hand blender.
- Finally, give the frosting a last beat after incorporating the last but surely not the least two ingredients- strawberry puree and flavoured gelatin.
- And it’s ready! Refrigerate the prepared cute, sweet, soft, and of course, delicious frosting to set.
Now it’s time to put everything together! Your cake must have been ready by now, but you still need to hold yourself back a little because icing the cake with frosting when it’s hot will not show mercy on your efforts and will make it run on the cake. So just 15 to 20 more minutes before you add final touches and relish this delicacy.
Once the cake cools (or if you can’t wait, at least let it come to normal room temperature), decorate the cake with the frosting that you have made and top it off with the diced strawberry. Sieve a little icing sugar on the diced strawberries that you’ve used lastly to garnish the cake.
Next…..Well, what are you waiting for? Just slice it up and dive into the exquisite pleasure but make sure your gym trainer doesn’t get to know about your new pinkish cheat day partner.
This cake can last firm and moist for up to 3 days, and when the temperature gets high, keep the cake well-covered and refrigerated.
Points To Remember
- While working around frozen strawberries, first defrost them and wash them with normal water, then drain them and remove any remaining moisture using a paper towel or tissue.
- Though you can add regular granulated sugar to the cake batter, icing sugar is the idle form to use. So if you are out of it at the time of making this cake, simply powder the granulated sugar, and your powdered sugar will be ready.
- Don’t make a rush while sieving the dry ingredients, as not doing so properly will increase the chances of getting lumps in the batter.