After a certain point, we begin to take our driver’s license for granted. However, if you’re considering a vacation abroad, you’ll need to dust off your driver’s license once more. You can’t have a vacation without driving. So, when visiting another country, how do you receive your driver’s license and start driving? Obtaining an international driver’s license may be necessary if you don’t already have one. In this article, we will have a look at key aspects related to obtaining an international driving license.
International Driver’s License Legality
A valid international driver’s license is required for an Indian citizen to drive vehicles outside of India. If you’re going to be driving a motor vehicle, you’ll need it. The Zonal Regional Transport Office (RTO) is primarily in charge of providing valid foreign driver’s licenses to private citizens. A visitor to another country can hire and drive a car with the help of an international driver’s license. People of Pakistan can go for an international license Pakistan if they want to drive in India or any other country.
International Driver’s License Facts and Information
Some important facts related to international driving licenses are as follows:
- The validity of an international driver’s license is one year.
- If you’re an Indian citizen traveling to another country and intend to drive, you’ll need this license.
- While the Indian driver’s license is recognized in some countries, getting an international driver’s license is always suggested. This is since having an international driver’s license makes submitting an insurance claim much simpler.
- There are over 150 nations where the international driver’s license can be used, including the United States.
- You cannot reapply for an international driver’s license. After the expiration date has passed, the applicant must start the application process all over again to receive a new international driver’s license.
Some important considerations related to the international driving license are as follows:
- The document of an international license is critical. Keep it in a safe place, just as you would your passport.
- If you’ve misplaced your international driving permit and are currently outside of India, please notify the Indian embassy. In addition, notify the local authorities in the country you’re visiting.
- An international driver’s license cannot be obtained unless you have a valid visa for the country or territory you intend to visit.
- Your driver’s license will be recognized by the authorities in those countries. This is particularly critical in the event of an accident since it will serve as proof of your driving qualifications. An IDP is normally valid for a year from the date of issuance or until the expiration date of the driver’s license, whichever comes first.
How to Get an International Driving Permit
A simplified application process for an overseas driving permit has been made possible by the Ministry of Road Transportation and Highways. To be able to drive in another country, one must first obtain an international driving license, which is equivalent to a local driver’s license there. Individuals can apply for a driver’s license at their local RTO by submitting the necessary paperwork and payment. As soon as the application is processed, the individual will receive a license, which typically takes 3-4 business days.
International Driver’s License Application Form
- A form must be completed and sent along with the application for an international driving license.
- The ‘Form for the Issue of International Driving Permit’ or Form no. 4 can be obtained from any RTO.
- The individual must supply personal information, such as his or her name, residence, and driving license number.
International License Fees
For each license, a price of Rs. 500 will be charged. The payment must be made at the time of submission of the paperwork and application form by the applicant. The International Driving Permit’s requirements and eligibility are the same in all the nations that have signed on to the agreement. In most nations, a minimal charge must be paid to obtain one.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- A driver’s license is required.
- Should submit an official form and three passport-sized images, both issued by the relevant authority.
Getting an International Driving Permit Has Its Perks
- If you’re planning on driving abroad, an international driving permit/International DL is a straightforward and convenient way to do it.
- It confirms that you have a valid driver’s license in your home country and allows you to operate a car in another country. The IDP is considered as proof of your driving abilities.
- If your original driver’s license isn’t in the language of your destination country, you’ll want to use the IDP. As a result, information about you may be more easily verified by government officials in those countries.
- It might be used as confirmation of identity.
- It is not necessary to take any additional driving exams when abroad if you have an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- IDP has been acknowledged by more than 150 countries that have signed on to the agreement as a global standard. The IDP is recognized as a legal document in some nations, even though they are not signatories.
Thus, we have seen in detail the key aspects related to obtaining an IDP. Those who go to another nation for business or pleasure may not be able to rent a car or drive because they lack a license that is accepted in the new country’s driving jurisdiction. You can apply for an International Driver’s Permit if you want to drive overseas. An International Driver’s Permit (IDP) is a United Nations-approved document granted to visitors traveling outside of the United States and Canada. A certified translation of your driver’s license issued in your home country is included in this document. Your driving credentials may be verified and understood by authorities around the world thanks to this document, which says that you have an active driver’s license and provides translations into many languages.