Glutathione is a vital anti-oxidant formed in the liver of the body, which plays an important role in providing chemicals and proteins to the immune system. It consists of 3 amino acids- glutamic acid, cysteine, and glycine. One of the most important aspects of Glutathione is that it helps in tissue binding. As well, glutathione is available as a supplement and is believed to have various health benefits. For example, glutathione can have a positive impact on your skin. As it neutralizes free radicals, it reduces inflammation promoting healthy and bright skin. When you are taking these glutathione supplements, you should keep in mind that you need to avoid certain things. Certain substances and daily habits that you have implemented in your lifestyle can potentially decrease the potency of glutathione supplements. For example, you need to skimp on products like alcohol and ice cream to maximize the effectiveness of the glutathione supplements. You may also consult a nutritionist for a specific diet plan if you intend to take glutathione supplements daily. Scroll down to learn more about what to avoid when taking glutathione.
Table of Contents
What to Avoid When Taking Glutathione?
This is one of the most dangerous things that you need to avoid when taking glutathione supplements. Even more, consumption of caffeine must be done in a limited quantity.
- When you are consuming caffeine, the glutathione levels of your body decrease naturally. Hence, it will be of no use to intake glutathione supplements and caffeine products together.
- Caffeine is said to decrease the antioxidant properties of glutathione supplements.
- Caffeine can also cause impaired absorption of vitamins which contain glutathione, thus decreasing its effectiveness.
- Excessive intake of caffeine can cause various health hazards like anxiety, sleeping disorders, increased heart rate, and increased stress. All these health hazards may impede the positive results of glutathione supplements.
2. Alcohol Consumption
If you want the best results, alcohol must be entirely avoided when taking glutathione. Since glutathione is processed in the liver, it is advised not to consume alcohol as it causes pressure on the liver.
- When you are consuming too much alcohol it becomes difficult for the liver to metabolize glutathione. Hence, it becomes difficult for your body to experience the anti-oxidant properties of glutathione.
- Another impact of alcohol is that, it encourages cell damage, which glutathione prevents. Therefore, it is totally baseless to consume alcohol when you are taking glutathione. So, either stop alcohol consumption completely or limit it to moderate levels.
Another thing to avoid when taking glutathione is smoking!
- Smoking causes oxidative stress which glutathione prevents.
- Smoking endorses oxidative stress leading to the production of lethal free radicals. These free radicals have the capability to damage cells and tissues. The primary action of glutathione is to produce positive free radicals that act as an anti-oxidant. Therefore, the action of glutathione is compromised when you are smoking cigarettes and vapes.
- A study was conducted and it was found, that men who took glutathione and smoked daily, had lowered levels of Vitamin C and Glutathione. They also had a higher level of lipid peroxide in their blood.
4. Dairy Products
One of the riskiest things to avoid while taking glutathione is dairy products. The reasons include lactose intolerance, allergies, and cysteine content.
- Lactose intolerance is a situation in which you get massive digestive problems. It hampers nutrient absorption like amino acids which is required for glutathione synthesis.
- Dairy products such as milk and curd cause allergic reactions and irritability. Allergic reactions cause inflammation which further causes oxidative pressure which impedes the action of glutathione.
- Cysteine is an amino acid that is formed during the formation of glutathione. Certain dairy items absorb casein which in turn, interferes with the absorption of cysteine.
5. Several Medications
There are various medicines that decrease glutathione levels, therefore lowering its potency. You should keep in mind that glutathione supplements definitely interact with several medicines, thus changing their potency and effectiveness. This in turn increases the side effects. It is very important that you consult with your doctor or your healthcare professional before combining glutathione supplements with any other medicines.
- Glutathione helps to support the immune system and hence if you are taking some other medications that also aid in improving the immune system, they may interact with each other and cause a reaction.
- Increased doses of Vitamin C will lessen the potency of glutathione. Therefore, it is essential that you have the guidance of a proper medical professional before taking other medicines along with glutathione.
6. Fried and Processed Food Items
If you avoid fried and processed food items when taking glutathione, you will get better results. This is because of various reasons.
- First, a proper diet consisting of whole-cooked foods will help build the essential blocks for increased glutathione levels. Fried and processed foods lack anti-oxidants, vitamins, and minerals which are present in homely prepared food.
- Second, processed foods contain harmful additives such as preservatives and pigments which are chemical in nature. These chemicals can react with glutathione and decrease its potency and effectiveness.
- Third, fried foods cause disturbance in digestion and inflammation. This may lead to chronic inflammation which will decrease the cellular health of the body hence taking glutathione would be pointless.
7. Avoid Dehydration
- Hydration is the key to the proper functioning of our body. When you are dehydrated, the cellular functions of your body are weakened. This causes a disturbance in the results of taking glutathione.
- The actual effectiveness of glutathione supplements is decreased. Always make sure to stay hydrated to increase the benefits of glutathione.
Correct Dosage: When it comes to glutathione, keep in mind to take the correct dosage to achieve the best results. Correct dosage is also important for your safety. Extra consumption of glutathione supplements must be avoided if you want maximum benefits and the least side effects.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should avoid taking glutathione. Though, currently there is no exact evidence or information to know if glutathione is actually safe to use when breastfeeding or pregnant. Since women intake various other medications when pregnant or when breastfeeding, it is advised not to consume glutathione because they may have little interaction with these medications.
Other Methods to Increase Glutathione Levels
- Engage yourself in activities such as exercising and Pilates. Regular exercise increases blood circulation, thus increasing anti-oxidant defenses which in turn upsurges glutathione synthesis.
- Practice yoga as it helps with stress management. As you know, that chronic stress and pressure can decrease the effectiveness of glutathione, you can practice other things as well- such as meditation or deep breathing.
- Prepare a balanced diet for yourself. You can take the help of a nutritionist too if you want to. Consume a diet that is rich in whole grain food, green vegetables, and lean proteins. This kind of diet provides us with vital anti-oxidants and nutrients that help in glutathione production.
- Get a sound sleep of four to eight hours as sleeping helps to regenerate glutathione production. A decreased level of sleep can cause chronic stress and depression too, which overall is not at all helpful for glutathione production.
- You can intake some other supplements such as vitamin E, vitamin C, and selenium as they enhance the consumption of glutathione.
Hence there are various tricks and tips to follow if you want to get maximum benefits when you consume glutathione. There are numerous foods that you should avoid when taking glutathione. Most important of all, when you are taking other medications, make sure to consult with a medical professional before implementing both the medication and glutathione in your body.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are the side effects of consuming glutathione?
Ans) Side effects include cramping, bloating, and allergic reactions.
2. Who should avoid glutathione?
Ans) Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers.