A global pandemic continues, civil unrest escalates and Netflix cancels our favorite shows: What a month so far!
- President Donald Trump celebrated the Unites States Independence Day at Mt. Rushmore on the 4th of July News Round-Up in what was termed a “Salute to America.” The U.S. Air Force participated, and firework concluded the event. Back in Washington D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser requested that people not to gather to celebrate due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This was the 244th birthday of the U.S.
- Independence Fleet celebrated its 19-year anniversary on 4th July News Round-Up. They introduced seven new members of their Hall of Fame and issued several other awards. Prior to the celebrations, club leader James D. West announced his retirement and the selection of Charles Star as his replacement. Independence Fleet has hosted Star Trek online role playing groups since 2001.
- Netflix continues to cancel our favorite shows after only three or four seasons, even though they still enjoy high ratings. The latest victims include Ozark, Dead to Me, The Kominsky Method and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. According to Judd Apatow in an NME interview: “Streamers don’t have that much interest in having shows for more than three seasons. … I think that they like getting all the publicity and that helps them get people to sign up. The model that used to exist for television was that shows were trying to create 100 episodes so they could go on syndication, which is where the money was. But because that doesn’t exist, there isn’t a financial motivator for allowing shows to survive for that long, unless it’s a gigantic hit.”
- The world topped 15,000,000 total coronavirus cases, with the United States, India, Brazil, and South Africa reporting the most new cases as of late. Total global deaths are also well past 600,000 and continue to grow as countries and regions throughout the world struggle to control the spread. As researches race for a vaccine and more effective treatment options for those who require hospitalization, both China and Russia have been accused of trying to hack COVID-19 research data.
- Protests against police brutality and in support of the Black Lives Matter movement continue in the U.S. with marches in many major cities, including Chicago, Los Angeles and Atlanta. Protests are also are happening in many small cities and towns. These events were triggered by the death of George Floyd on May 25, 2020 while he was being restrained by a Minneapolis police officer. Black Lives Matter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of George Zimmerman on charges of murdering Trayvon Martin. According to the Black Lives Matter website: “Black Lives Matter Foundation, Inc is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives. (Xanax) ”