With passing time, people are becoming more health-conscious. From managing their diet to starting an exercise regime, people are taking every extra effort to keep their lifestyle healthy. Out of all the possible reasons for an unhealthy lifestyle, junk food is marked as the most significant contributor.
While people are constantly cutting down their junk food intake, there is one carb-filled food they can’t simply resist to binge eat, i.e., pizza. Baked bread topped with layers of sauces, veggies toppings, and stuffed with cheese coverings, and pizza is simply a delicious Italian delicacy that can burst your mouth with kaleidoscopic flavors.
The pizza was brought into the world by Italian immigrants who traveled the world and spread the sumptuous fever of pizza in every corner of the world.
There are seemingly infinite varieties of pizza, and you can simply experiment with your own desires and preferences to create a brand new pizza flavor. From Margherita, Calzone to Marinara, pizza can be made in variant styles.
Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza
Deep dish pizza is one of the popular pizza types that came all the way from Chicago. Chicago style pizza came into existence in 1943 when two Texan partners Ricardo and Sewell opened a restaurant together and wanted to introduce something Mexican into their menu.
Sewell wanted to experiment with pizza as he considered pizza was just a little more than an appetizer. He was looking forward to making pizza a substantial dish that can be eaten as a meal. After many attempts on experimentation, Sewell was able to make a thick crust pizza with oodles of cheese, which later came to known as deep-dish pizza or Chicago style pizza.
A Chicago style pizza comprises of a thick base of pizza baked in a pan with layers of cheese; the fillings can be meat, vegetables, and sauces of choice. The major takeaway of the deep dish pizza is the thick layer of the pizza base; it usually ranges from two to three inches tall. The main difference between deep-dish pizza and Neapolitan pizza is the difference of crust.
Binging With Babish And Chicago Style Pizza
YouTube has become the nextgen TV. From games, sports, songs to tutorials, you can find possibly everything on YouTube today. People have made their personal channels on YouTube, where they share video content on different niche. With a whopping, 5.53 million subscribers, Binging with Babish is a food channel on YouTube, where the presenter recreates food delicacies that have been popular on TV shows and movies.
All his videos are prepared in an innovative manner where he first shows an interesting clip of the particular food where it has been discussed or made, and then starts recreating the same magic in his kitchen. His chatty and humorous commentary between the video is something that strikes up likes for his videos.
A recently uploaded video on Binging with Babish got over 2.2 million views, wherein he made Chicago Style pizza, which was discussed on The Daily Show. The show presenter was seen making humourous comments on the deep-dish pizza and how it cannot be categorized under pizza forms.
How To Make Deep Dish Pizza or Chicago Style Pizza?
Before starting to prepare the delectable pizza, let’s take notes of the ingredients required for Chicago style pizza.
- 1 teaspoon granule sugar
- 18 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 12 ounces deli-sliced skim mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- Thinly sliced pepperoni
- Marzano tomatoes
- Grated parmesan
Directions To Make
- Take a bowl and mix 11 ounces of water with sugar and yeast and let it sit for 15 minutes till it blooms.
- Take another stand bowl mixer to combine cream of tartar, flour, and salt.
- Take a look at yeast; if it has bloomed, add the dry ingredients with corn oil. Gently mix everything with a spatula until a rough ball is made.
- Knead the dough at a slow pace for 90 seconds. Once the dough has been formed, transfer it to a lightly oiled bowl and let it sit for at least 6 hours. After 6 hours, punch the dough down and let it rest for another 15 minutes.
- Prepare your oven by preheating it to 450 degrees F. Preferring middle rack of the oven is ideal for baking Chicago style pizza.
- Take a cake pan and coat the sides and bottom with melted unsalted butter.
- Spread the dough into the pan with your hands evenly for about three-quarters of the pan. Save the remaining dough for the next round.
- Once the dough has spread evenly on the pan, it’s time to cover the bottom with mozzarella up to the edge.
- Cover half of the pan with a thin layer of sausages and the other half with pepperoni.
- Top the pan with a handful of tomatoes and sprinkle grated parmesan over the top.
- Bake the pizza until golden for 25 minutes. Check whether the edges have been perfectly colored before taking out.
- Once the pizza is ready, let it sit for 25 minutes before lifting.
- Cut the pizza into slices and relish the flavorsome Chicago style pizza.
Making Chicago Style pizza is quite easy, and all the ingredients are readily available in the market. Give your friends and family a sumptuous surprise by baking deep dish pizza at your home through these simple steps.